- Dish type
- Side dish
- Vegetable side dishes
This is a traditional Italian side dish that my kids love!
141 people made this
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 (400g) tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- half a bunch fresh basil, chopped
- 450g (16 oz) broccoli florets
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
MethodPrep:5min ›Cook:20min ›Ready in:25min
- Heat olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add garlic, and cook for a few minutes, stirring constantly. Pour in the tomatoes, vinegar and basil and simmer until the liquid has reduced by about half.
- Place the broccoli on top of the tomatoes, and season with a little salt and pepper. Simmer over low heat for 10 minutes, or until the broccoli is tender. Do not over cook the broccoli, it should be a vibrant green. Pour into a serving dish, and toss to blend with the sauce before serving.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(168)
Reviews in English (112)
It's nice but I'm finding the broccoli itself a little bland, any tips anyone? Gorgeous side dish though!-30 Mar 2012
I did not have the specified canned tomatoes, so I used about 1/4 cup fresh basil and 2 tbsp basalmic vinegar. Instead of serving it as a side dish, I tossed it with pasta, pine nuts and fresh romano cheese. My children and I loved it, my hubby thought it was okay but needed meat.-22 Jul 2004
Very good.I also added some red onion and served with Feta on top.You can add crumbled Feta a couple of minutes before serving so that it melts.-14 Feb 2005